This crazy cold weather calls for some serious comfort food. And for me a nice big steaming bowl of pumpkin soup and some delicious crusty bread is the ULTIMATE comfort food.
This is a super easy recipe that doesn't take a lot of time to prepare. I manage to pull this off with not one but two toddlers screaming at me under my feet 🙂
Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1kg pumpkin (can use kent, jarrah or butternut) peeled and cubed.
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 small potato (desiree, washed or brushed) peeled and cubed
- 1 onion (can also substitute for a leek) roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1tsp of Nutmeg
- 1tsp of Ground Cumin Seed
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1l of Salt Reduced Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cream (optional)
- Fresh chopped chives to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan and cook the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the Nutmeg and Cumin until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin, potatoes and stock and gently stir.
- Bring to the boil then let simmer with lid on for 20 minutes or until pumpkin and potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take off the heat and transfer mixture to a blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- Return to pot over medium heat, add cream and stir in.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with fresh chives.